As the year comes to an end, we want to thank our members. We are grateful for our members and their accomplishments. Together, we can and do challenge gendered systems of oppression and violence that affect the lives of many women and gender-diverse people. We are not powerless; we strive, challenge and act in solidarity.
Much has happened this year:
- Appointed Micaela Drieberg as CEO. Micaela has hit the ground running, talking with members, government and funders about the gender-equal society and exploring collaborative action.
- Adopted a new organisational constitution that enables us to achieve Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status and widen the pool of potential board members.
- The Finding Her website a collaboration between GEN VIC, the Her Place Museum, and Just Gold was launched
- The Put Her Name on It Project put a gender lens on public naming and commemoration in Victoria. We were ecstatic to see monuments and place names of women and gender-diverse people unveiled across the state this year.
- The understanding of gendered cyberhate targeting women’s athlete’s project continues to work with professional women’s athletes and sporting bodies to understand the issues confronting women athletes and develop solutions. We are grateful to Deakin University GEN VIC partner for this project who took over the led in early 2023.
We also embarked on an ambitious project to reimagine our future. We consulted with our members, potential members, funders, partners and activists about the possibilities for GEN VIC. We were delighted by the overwhelming support and enthusiasm for our vision and mission.
We identified three key areas where we can make a critical impact:
- Building, networking, and connecting on gender and women issues.
- Making the work of the gender equity sector more visible.
- Campaigning for gendered economic justice and security.
We are excited about the future of GEN VIC and the potential to create a more gender-equitable society. We are deeply grateful for the ongoing support from our members and partners, who are the driving force behind our work. Together, we can achieve amazing things when we dare to imagine new possibilities.
Thank you for being part of our journey, and we look forward to working with you in 2024 and beyond.
Julie Kun Chair of GEN VIC on behalf of the GEN Vic Team